Mirroring package uploader/upload date

Max Bolingbroke batterseapower at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 19 00:03:04 CEST 2011

On 18 October 2011 20:17, Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Initially I think we only need the "null" policy of setting upload time
> only, and the policy useful for a live public mirror of the central
> hackage server.

I've implemented this:
 * Packages default to being uploaded by the mirrorer at the standard
time, just as now
 * Two URLs exist (e.g.
/package/edit-distance-0.2.1/edit-distance-0.2.1.tar.gz/upload-time
and /package/edit-distance-0.2.1/edit-distance-0.2.1.tar.gz/uploader)
that any mirrorer can PUT to to set these two bits of information
 * The mirror client does make use of these URLs
 * PUTting a user name that does not currently exist on the server
creates an historical account

I didn't take the extra step of using a Maybe type to explicitly
distinguish packages with no uploader other than the mirrorer.

BTW, what is the motivation for being able to rename users? This extra
layer of indirection makes quite a few things more ugly (e.g.
currently we can only build URLs by *username* - there are no URLs to
select users by id), and is fairly unusual - in my experience very few
sites allow account renaming.

Max