Proposal: Add a benchmark section to .cabal files

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at
Tue Oct 4 19:49:57 CEST 2011

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 7:57 AM, Duncan Coutts
<duncan.coutts at>wrote:

> In general, yes I think benchmarking is a sensible follow-on from test
> suites. We can follow the same approach of specifying a protocol so that
> we can add more sophisticated interfaces later as we gain experience wit
> them.

What do you think about the very basic interface I gave? It basically just
makes it possible to create executables that are distinguishable as
benchmarks. That seems like a very small step but it solves more or less all
of my problems*.

Should I go ahead and implement it?

* I prefer not to use the workaround as having spurious executables confuses
Hackage (which lists them) and users.