Any remaining test patches?

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Mon May 23 16:14:18 CEST 2011

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 03:48:05PM +0200, Johan Tibell wrote:
> On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 7:36 PM, Duncan Coutts
> >
> >  T5636 (ghci, opt, prof)
> >
> > So what if in addition to this system of test options (inputs) we had
> > a similar declarative system for describing test attributes. What
> > might it look like and how could test agents expose this so that users
> > can make use of it?
>
> I'm worried about generalizing from a single instance (i.e. GHC).
>
> If we'd like to add some flexibility we could allow tests to carry
> arbitrary tags:
>
> class TestInstance a where
>     tags :: a -> [String]

Just because GHC's testsuite distinguishes between ways and tests, I'm
not sure if Cabal's testsuite framework needs to do so. Ways could just
be encoded into the hierarchy, e.g. GHC's testsuite could include the
tests
    typechecker.T5636.ghci
    typechecker.T5636.opt
    typechecker.T5636.prof
rather than the test
    typechecker.T5636
with 3 tagged variants.

Perhaps having tags /as well/ would make sense, so
    typechecker.T5636.ghci
would be tagged ["typechecker", "ghci"] and it would then be possible to
run 'all tests tagged "ghci"' or 'all tests tagged "typechecker"'.

Thanks
Ian