Plan of Attack for Parallel Builds

Simon Meier iridcode at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 10:37:03 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I'm very much looking forward to a future where cabal install exercises all
my core's with some heavy duty Haskell work ;-) Thanks Frank for taking this
up.

I personally like progress reports on the individual builds very much. I
agree that they are not super important, but nevertheless I think that a
progress report significantly improves the user experience. I also have a
simple, ad-hoc scheme that should result in an OK progress report for most
cases.

Gather patterns of the form

  "["<integer>" of "<integer>"]"

in the program output and interpret the resulting sequence such that the
second to last "measurement" is a conservative estimate of the real
progress; i.e.,

progress :: [(Int,Int)] -> Maybe Double
progress xs = case reverse xs of
  (_:(i,n):_) -> return (fromIntegral i / fromIntegral n)
  _            -> mzero

Probably some more filtering of this sequence is required to cater for
repeated calls to GHC. I guess that, as long as progress never goes from
100% to something below, the user will be happy about the progress estimate.
Moreover, the chance that such a pattern occurs where it doesn't indicate
some interesting progress is reasonably low.

best regards,
Simon