problems getting cabal-install to work on CentOS

Chris Dornan chris at chrisdornan.com
Mon Feb 14 16:13:53 CET 2011

I have just checked – CentOS doesn’t seem to mount /tmp noexec out of the box -- at least not on the servers I have built (where I have used the default simple partition arrangement with /tmp in the root partition).

But two servers I have leased have been setup in this way, the original problem showing up on one of these servers.

As for a quick and reliable method for testing noexec – how about the autoconfig way (i.e., design an experiment)?

As for what to do when the system /tmp won’t do – a canned simple error message with workarounds would solve 90% of the problems; I either that or, for each build do “mkdir -p $HOME/.cabal-tmp”, issuing a warning to this effect.

Chris