patch applied (cabal): "Fix the GHC HEAD build: Don't use deprecated catch function"

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 27 14:16:12 CEST 2011

On Tue, 2011-04-26 at 16:26 -0700, Ian Lynagh wrote:
> Tue Apr 26 16:20:15 PDT 2011  Ian Lynagh <igloo at earth.li>
>   * Fix the GHC HEAD build: Don't use deprecated catch function
>   We could make this conditional, to support old GHC versions, but I
>   don't think it is worth the cost to support 6.8. By the time this Cabal
>   is released, you will need at least 6.12 (if not higher) to build the
>   GHC it comes with.
>
>     M ./Distribution/Simple/Build/PathsModule.hs -2 +5

I just recently applied a patch here to support ghc-6.8, sent in by a
contributor. There's two issues, one is building Cabal with ghc-6.8, and
the other is using a recent Cabal version to work with ghc-6.8 at
runtime. The generated paths module has to compile with the target
compiler, including older ghc and hugs, nhc etc.