[Hackage] #740: Allow specifying private C libs to avoid overlinking (but allow static linking)

Hackage cvs-ghc at haskell.org
Mon Sep 20 15:57:49 EDT 2010

#740: Allow specifying private C libs to avoid overlinking (but allow static
linking)
  Reporter:  duncan         |        Owner:
      Type:  enhancement    |       Status:  new
 Component:  Cabal library  |      Version:
  Severity:  normal         |     Keywords:
Difficulty:  unknown        |   Ghcversion:
  Platform:                 |
 See http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Overlinking for a discussion of under and
 overlinking.

 In different circumstances, we want both to be able to link to C libs
 statically and dynamically. For the dynamic case we only want to specify
 direct C lib dependencies or we end up overlinking. For the static case we
 must specify all direct and indirect C libs or we will miss libs and get
 missing symbols.

 A sensible solution is to follow [http://people.freedesktop.org/~dbn/pkg-
 config-guide.html pkg-config] and specify "private" C libs separately from
 normal public ones. This would require extensions both to .cabal files and
 package registration files.

--
Ticket URL: <http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/740>
Hackage <http://haskell.org/cabal/>