cabal, UHC, and different backends

Atze Dijkstra atze at cs.uu.nl
Thu Oct 21 03:57:40 EDT 2010

Hi All,

so, the design for the interface to a compiler would be more or less like this:
- type Way = String. Cabal is agnostic of any meaning of a Way.
- Supported compilers provide the meaning of a Way, similar to compiler specific 'build executable' etc functions:
  <Compiler>.wayToFilePath :: Way -> FilePath
  <Compiler>.wayToFlags :: Way -> [String]
- Compilers also specify when to use the above. Although it may be desirable to let Cabal do all the stuff depending on a Way, I think
  - it is a lot of work, actually it may be so much work that it will become a stumbling block,
  - it will be tricky, because it also would include Way specific runtime system, libraries, etc,
  - it will take time for compilers to adapt.
  So I'd prefer to identify a set of points where Cabal does/doesn't do the Way specific stuff. This allows per compiler choice and a more gradual path of adaption. For example:
  - location of .hi files, library files, etc (this is the main part), which would boil down to passing a destination location which does or does not include 'wayToFilePath'.
  - location/construction of package descriptor file.

For dealing with constraints and the cabal language specification, a Way is (should be?) orthogonal to other constraints. That is, for a Way neutral package, the same dependencies would hold for all Ways. Conceptually, a constraint then is a set/map of constraints, one for each Way, only to be strictly smaller than the largest possible set when a particular Way is not supported. The cabal language would then require 'member' and 'filter' like mechanisms. I am sure I simplify matters (too much? :-)).

As for using Nix ideas, this will require a different build system inside Cabal. The basic idea is simple, every artifact is a function result, no side effects. Making it work when no tool behaves without side effects (files are always put into a file system), etc etc, is more difficult, most likely impossible without compromises. I have thought of ways of doing this inside and/or with UHC, but maybe something along the lines of recent work of Neil Mitchell would be an easier starting point.

cheers,