API-tracker to check compliance with package versioning policy---advice please?

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Tue Mar 23 07:56:37 EDT 2010

| Is there a more verbose, newbie-friendly documentation that will answer
| questions like,
|     "Suppose I have a function foo :: String -> String. How does GHC
|     represent the type of this function?"

We don't have verbose newbie-friendly documentation, I'm afraid.  But GHC is an open-source compiler, and one thing that people can very helpfully contribute is precisely this sort of documentation.  After all, a typical sequence is
	- "I wish I knew X"
	- Much reading of code, and consultation of the mailing lists
	- "Now I know X (to some degree)"

It would be great to add
	- Add documentation about X to the Commentary

The commentary is a wiki:, so anyone can add to it.  We're happy to review draft changes.

Meanwhile, to your point, the code you need is in compiler/types/TypeRep, which contains tha (very small) data type that represents types.

Simon