[Hackage] #89: Sharing of object files between executable builds?

Hackage trac at galois.com
Thu Jan 28 05:47:36 EST 2010

#89: Sharing of object files between executable builds?
  Reporter:  bjorn@…             |        Owner:  blackh
      Type:  enhancement         |       Status:  assigned
 Component:  Cabal library       |      Version:
  Severity:  normal              |     Keywords:
Difficulty:  easy (<4 hours)     |   Ghcversion:  6.4.2
  Platform:  Linux               |

Comment(by duncan):

 Replying to [comment:19 AnttiJuhaniKaijanaho]:
 > From what I understand, the patch above does not solve the original
 request: the useless rebuilding of Other-Modules shared by multiple

 Right the current system does not help for packages with several
 executables but no library. For that we need to support convenience /
 private libraries as in #276.

 I do not plan to implement ad-hoc / implicit / opportunitsic sharing of .o
 files. It is too hard to implement at the moment. It requires tracking
 lots of information to check if the sharing is safe. It might become
 possible in a future build system that obsessively tracks all

Ticket URL: <http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/89#comment:20>