[Hackage] #600: Cabal should use -dynamic linking for executable when package configured --enable-shared

Hackage trac at galois.com
Mon Jan 25 21:42:38 EST 2010

#600: Cabal should use -dynamic linking for executable when package configured
--enable-shared
  Reporter:  juhp           |        Owner:
      Type:  defect         |       Status:  new
 Component:  Cabal library  |      Version:  HEAD
  Severity:  normal         |     Keywords:
Difficulty:  unknown        |   Ghcversion:
  Platform:  Linux          |

Comment(by KrzysztofSkrzetnicki):

 Replying to [comment:3 juhp]:
 > Krzysztof, which OS are you testing on?
 > I admit I have not tested my patch further since ghc-6.12.1 was
 released.
 > "--ghc-option=-dynamic" works ok on Linux ix86* for bin packages.
 > And --enable-shared works ok on lib packages.
 Here is my current configuration:
 {{{
 $ uname -a
 Linux laptener 2.6.32-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jan 19 06:08:04 UTC 2010
 i686 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7500 @ 2.20GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
 $ ghc -V
 The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 6.12.1
 $ cabal -V
 cabal-install version 0.8.0
 using version 1.8.0.2 of the Cabal library
 }}}
 When I first replied to this ticket I was using cabal-install 0.6.2 with
 Cabal 1.6.0.2 (or 1.6.0.3, I'm not sure). I've upgraded hoping it'll solve
 the issue.

 > There is a conflict for binlib packages when configuring with
 > "--ghc-option=-dynamic --enable-shared -p": the build fails complaining
 > about missing dyn_prof files in ghc's libraries IIRC.  This
 > sounds pretty much what you are seeing.  I think that cabal needs
 > to support -dynamic itself to workaround this.
 >
 > (Note also this bug was reported against Cabal not cabal-install.)

 Well, I missed that fact entirely. But I suspect that fixing #600 would
 solve the issue with cabal-install as well, right? (I have completely no
 idea how cabal-install works internally, so it's a wild guess.)

--
Ticket URL: <http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/600#comment:4>
Hackage <http://haskell.org/cabal/>