infelicitous (incorrect?) ordering of flags passed to GHC

Brent Yorgey byorgey at
Tue Jan 12 11:53:47 EST 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 10:15:51AM -0500, Brent Yorgey wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 06:27:51PM +0000, Duncan Coutts wrote:
> > On Thu, 2010-01-07 at 15:18 -0500, Brent Yorgey wrote:
> >
> > > And are there any workarounds in the meantime?
> >
> > Have you tried listing the fields in the other order?
> Yes, with the same result.  So it's not as simple as something being
> backwards.  I just had another idea for a possible workaround (even if
> this gets fixed I'd rather not rely on everyone building xmonad to
> have a sufficiently new version of cabal) which I will try once I get
> to school.

Another data point: I found a workaround, which is to put

  if true
    ghc-options: -Wall

  if impl(ghc >= 6.12.1)
    ghc-options: -fno-warn-unused-do-bind

This now works as expected, and switching the if-clauses switches the
order of the flags passed to GHC.  So the problem seems to be that
flags from different "levels" are not being combined correctly.