[Hackage] #601: cabal setup doesn't respect --prefix

Hackage trac at galois.com
Fri Oct 23 23:17:04 EDT 2009

#601: cabal setup doesn't respect --prefix
  Reporter:  zooko          |        Owner:
      Type:  defect         |       Status:  new
 Component:  Cabal library  |      Version:
  Severity:  normal         |     Keywords:
Difficulty:  unknown        |   Ghcversion:
  Platform:                 |
 I'm trying to install Cabal here.  The install process (and the running
 cabal executable itself) isn't allowed to write into {{{/var/lib}}}, nor
 into any directory outside of {{{/usr/local/stow/Cabal}}}.  So I pass
 {{{--prefix=/usr/local/stow/Cabal}}} and in addition I use unix
 permissions to make it so that if it attempts to write outside of the
 specified prefix it will fail.  Good thing I did, because it does indeed
 so attempt:

 ./Setup configure --prefix=/usr/local/stow/Cabal
 ./Setup build
 ./Setup install
 Fri Oct 23 21:29:12 MDT 2009
 Installing library in /usr/local/stow/Cabal/lib/Cabal-
 Registering Cabal-
 Reading package info from "dist/installed-pkg-config" ... done.
 Writing new package config file... ghc-pkg:
 /var/lib/ghc-6.10.4/./package.conf: you don't have permission to modify
 this file

 Is there a different option to tell it to use a {{{package.conf}}} file in
 a specific directory?  In any case, the fact that it is attempting to
 write outside the specified {{{--prefix}}} seems like a bug to me.

Ticket URL: <http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/601>