How not to indirectly depend on multiple versions of the same package?

Bas van Dijk v.dijk.bas at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 14:24:45 EDT 2009

Hello,

My usb package fails to build on hackage:

http://hackage.haskell.org/package/usb-0.2

usb depends both on bytestring and text but text also depends on
bytestring. Now, during configuring, a different bytestring version is
choosen than the one text was build with:

http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/usb/0.2/logs/failure/ghc-6.10
Dependency bytestring ==0.9.*: using bytestring-0.9.1.5
Dependency text ==0.4.*: using text-0.4
Warning: This package indirectly depends on multiple versions of the same
package. This is highly likely to cause a compile failure.

http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/text/0.4/logs/success/ghc-6.10
Dependency bytestring >=0.9 && <1.0: using bytestring-0.9.1.4

Is it possible to specify in my cabal file that I depend on the same
bytestring version as to one text was build with?

If not, what is the best way to get my package to build on hackage?

Thanks,

Bas