checking upper bounds on base

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Tue Jun 2 16:34:34 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 09:19:44PM +0100, Ross Paterson wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 08:53:19PM +0100, Ian Lynagh wrote:
> > I don't think the base split made much difference.
>
> It forced the exposure of a lot more GHC.* modules, I think.

In 6.6.1, before any splitting, there were no hidden modules; all the
GHC.* modules were exposed (in libraries/base/package.conf.in;
base.cabal wasn't used by GHC's build system then, and we didn't have
the conditional syntax to only list those modules when building for
GHC).

> But I think my question is answered: just use base < 5 or base == 4.*

I didn't mean to answer the Big Question. I don't have strong feelings
about it. I'd be happy with that answer, though. My main worry with it
would be that people would do likewise for other packages.

Thanks
Ian