[Hackage] #477: re-configure when the .cabal file changes

Hackage trac at galois.com
Sat Jan 24 10:13:15 EST 2009

#477: re-configure when the .cabal file changes
  Reporter:  duncan         |        Owner:
      Type:  enhancement    |       Status:  new
 From http://trevion.blogspot.com/2008/11/cabal-is-fine-piece-of-

 One nice thing about Cabal is that it really helps you
 appreciate the different parts of the build process. For
 instance, suppose that I change my cabal metadata file, and
 then attempt to build my project, for instance by saying

 runghc Setup.hs build

 Cabal will helpfully reply:

 Setup.hs: interpreter.cabal has been changed, please re-configure.

 Notice how Cabal has helpfully here noticed that there’s work
 to be done, and not done it. I found that this really helped
 me appreciate the details of the build, rather than
 unhelpfully hiding those details behind some veneer of

 We can and should do this. It is annoying.

 The solution is to save the configure flags that the user gave originally
 and to use them again to re-configure. This could be a Read/Show style
 file like we have for the `LocalBuildInfo` or it could be a readable file
 like the cabal config file. A format and parser derived from the set of
 command line arguments.

Ticket URL: <http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/477>