[Hackage] #447: do parallel builds

Curt Sampson cjs at starling-software.com
Tue Jan 13 10:09:02 EST 2009

On 2009-01-10 16:01 -0000 (Sat), dunacn wrote:

>  Also downloads seem to be serialised, again because there is probably
>  little benefit to making multiple connections to the same server.

You evidently don't live in Japan. :-)

On high-bandwidth, high-latency links (e.g., Tokyo to a server in
NYC, which has well over 200 ms latency just due to the distance) TCP
doesn't work so well unless both sides are very well tuned for high
bandwidth-latency products. I'm generally on a 100 Mbps fibre connection
in Tokyo (it's the standard home or small office connection here), and
parallel downloads are a very happy thing; in some circumstances I can
run a dozen downloads in parallel, without any individual one being
slower than it would be running alone.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson       <cjs at starling-software.com>        +81 90 7737 2974