Cabal --builddir

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Wed Feb 25 18:52:18 EST 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-25 at 16:29 +0000, Ross Paterson wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 01:09:38PM +0000, Duncan Coutts wrote:
> > Generally the user guide needs some attention from
> > someone. It could probably do with being divided into user and author
> > sections / perspectives. People want to know how to install packages,
> > all the various user interface to using the command line interface.
> > Different people (or the same people but doing a different task) want to
> > know the details of how to write cabal packages.
>
> Do you mean it should have separate sections on "Creating a package"
> and "Building and installing a package"?

Ok ok :-)

I always get the feeling nobody reads the user guide. Perhaps it's just
me who never reads it.

I don't think it's exposed to the users enough, despite it being just
one click away on the cabal home page. We have all these other links on
the home page on how to install and make a package. Why do we have these
if we've got the user guide? Half of it is out of date now that most
people use cabal-install. Not very different of course.

Perhaps we just need to integrate this material and have some more
tutorial style stuff in the user guide. Then instead of calling it "user
guide" on the home page, we just link "How to install a Cabal package"
and "How to make a Cabal package" directly to the appropriate chapters.