Cabal 1.8 clean hook

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 1 07:27:28 EST 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 01:54 +0000, C Rodrigues wrote:

> Updating a package to work with Cabal 1.8, I found that the clean hook
> no longer gets a LocalBuildInfo parameter.  I've been using the
> Distribution.Simple.Program facilities to run 'make'.  Without access
> to a configured 'make' at cleanup time, I can't make clean.

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/133

The reason we felt it should never have had that optional parameter is
that clean should work whether or not the package had previously been
configured. Indeed it should not behave differently depending on if it
had been configured or not.

> I can call configureProgram myself to get the program, or just use
> System.Cmd. What's a good practice?

You can do either. Probably configureProgram is better since it lets
someone override and use eg gmake instead of make.