wxhaskell installation issue

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Mon Aug 10 08:27:26 EDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-08-08 at 18:23 -0500, Brian Lewis wrote:
> Could a cabal developer please weigh in on this thread?
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.wxhaskell.general/722
>
> The summary is that the wxhaskell cabal package tries to register itself
> with ghc-pkg. I think this is fundamentally busted behavior, but I'd
> appreciate hearing opinions from experts. Thanks.

As Eric says, the problem is that the wx package is mostly doing its own
thing using make so it doesn't respect many of the flags that the
'Simple' build system uses, like the --user / --global flags etc. The
solution is either to switch to the simple build system or to put more
work into passing flags to the ./configure script so the two work
together better.