[Hackage] #353: pushd and popd commands used in cabal-install/bootstrap.sh #!/bin/sh not in bourne shell

Hackage trac at galois.com
Sat Sep 20 13:46:23 EDT 2008

#353: pushd and popd commands used in cabal-install/bootstrap.sh #!/bin/sh not in
bourne shell
----------------------------------+-----------------------------------------
  Reporter:  leif                 |        Owner:
      Type:  defect               |       Status:  new
 Component:  cabal-install tool   |      Version:  1.4.0.1
  Severity:  normal               |     Keywords:
Difficulty:  very easy (<1 hour)  |   Ghcversion:  6.8.3
  Platform:  Other Unix           |
----------------------------------+-----------------------------------------
 So on my FreeBSD system, on those lines, it just says "command not found",
 and it fails.
 This isn't a problem on Linux, where /bin/sh is a symlink to /bin/bash,
 but FreeBSD and Solaris have an actual bourne shell, which doesn't support
 those commands.  I don't know what the behavior on MacOS X is.

 I can change it to use a different shell, or change the 'pushd' and 'popd'
 commands to cd, and then 'cd -' or 'cd ..'

--
Ticket URL: <http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/353>
Hackage <http://haskell.org/cabal/>