darcs patch: Fallback onto simpleHTTP when Network.Browser fails

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Sat Oct 11 13:51:29 EDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-10-11 at 11:52 -0400, Stephen Hicks wrote:
> Er, I forgot to --edit-description, nor did I provide a long
> description.  Basically, I've seen a ton of complaints (and no
> solutions) over the mailing list and IRC about this "recv: resource
> vanished (Connection reset by peer)" error when attempting to 'cabal
> update'.  I tracked it down to a bug in Network.Browser that causes it
> to fail when behind a NAT-based router.  On the other hand,
> Network.HTTP.simpleHTTP, while being less feature-rich, doesn't seem
> to have a problem with NAT.  I've submitted a bug report to the
> maintainer of Network.HTTP, but for the time being, I think it's also
> prudent to include this simple (pun intended) workaround in cabal
> install as well.

Thanks for looking into this Stephen. Do you have the details on the bug
in Network.Browser? We can get that fixed. The current maintainer is
happy for us to fix stuff if it's clear what needs to be done. I'd much
rather do that than switch to the simpleHTTP which does not support
redirects or proxies, both of which we need.