[Hackage] #400: fail and warnings for build configurations

Hackage trac at galois.com
Sat Nov 8 10:42:53 EST 2008

#400: fail and warnings for build configurations
  Reporter:  duncan         |        Owner:
      Type:  enhancement    |       Status:  new
 Component:  Cabal library  |      Version:
  Severity:  normal         |     Keywords:
Difficulty:  normal         |   Ghcversion:  6.8.3
  Platform:                 |
 People expect `buildable: False` to fail the current configuration (rather
 than letting it configure and then not working at build time). But perhaps
 we should make that more explicit and allow a message, eg instead of:

 if os(windows)
   buildable: False
 if os(windows)
   fail: it doesn't work on windows because, blah blah blah

 And similarly we might want to warn users about selecting particular
 configurations eg:

 if flag(http)
   warn: no http implementation selected, only local
         operations will be possible. You probably really
         want some http implementation.

 The semantics roughly is that it's a workable but sub-optimal

 The solver should try to avoid warnings, by selecting another alternative.

Ticket URL: <http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/400>