version tags

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at
Fri May 9 05:59:25 EDT 2008

Ross Paterson <ross at> wrote:

> What are tags for?  Should we have them at all?
> 	hsgnutls-0.2.3-barracuda
> 	hsgnutls-
> 	regex-tdfa-0.92-ghc-68-build-fix

I'm guessing that the tag generally indicates a specific set of bugfixes
over the original version?  And thus does not indicate API changes?  So
what does the Package Versioning Policy have to say about bugfix-only

And whilst we are raising the question of changing the behaviour of
comparisons on Data.Version.Version, I would like to repeat the argument
I made a few months back, that version X.Y should compare equal to
X.Y.0.0.0 (for any sequence of trailing zeroes).