version tags

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Fri May 9 05:59:25 EDT 2008

Ross Paterson <ross at soi.city.ac.uk> wrote:

> What are tags for?  Should we have them at all?
>
> 	hsgnutls-0.2.3-barracuda
> 	hsgnutls-0.2.3.1-barracuda
> 	regex-tdfa-0.92-ghc-68-build-fix

I'm guessing that the tag generally indicates a specific set of bugfixes
over the original version?  And thus does not indicate API changes?  So
what does the Package Versioning Policy have to say about bugfix-only
releases?

And whilst we are raising the question of changing the behaviour of
comparisons on Data.Version.Version, I would like to repeat the argument
I made a few months back, that version X.Y should compare equal to
X.Y.0.0.0 (for any sequence of trailing zeroes).

Regards,
    Malcolm