Depsolver won't install some installable packages

Darrin Thompson darrinth at
Mon Jun 16 09:31:40 EDT 2008

Is this buggy behavior?

Installing yi...
setup: alex version >=2.0.1 && <3 is required but it could not be found.
yi-0.3 failed during the configure step. The exception was:
exit: ExitFailure 1

$ cabal install alex
Resolving dependencies...
Downloading alex-2.2...
[1 of 1] Compiling Main             ( Setup.lhs, dist/setup/Main.o )

I observed similar behavior with happs depending on happy. I had to
issue an install command for happy and then happs-hsp-template

I would guess that what alex and happy have in common is that they are
indirect (second order?) dependencies of the user's specified package.
Pure speculation on my part.