patch applied (cabal): Fix the semantics of the simple file globbing to be sane

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jul 29 12:30:24 EDT 2008

Tue Jul 29 08:26:24 PDT 2008  Duncan Coutts <duncan at haskell.org>
  * Fix the semantics of the simple file globbing to be sane
  I realised when I started to document it that the behaviour
  was not terribly consistent or sensible. The meaning now is:
    The limitation is that * wildcards are only allowed in
    place of the file name, not in the directory name or
    file extension. In particular, wildcards do not include
    directories contents recursively. Furthermore, if a
    wildcard is used it must be used with an extension, so
    "data-files: data/*" is not allowed. When matching a
    wildcard plus extension, a file's full extension must
    match exactly, so "*.gz" matches "foo.gz" but not
    "foo.tar.gz".
  The reason for providing only a very limited form of wildcard
  is to concisely express the common case of a large number of
  related files of the same file type without making it too easy
  to accidentally include unwanted files.

    M ./Distribution/Simple/Utils.hs -12 +10

View patch online:
http://darcs.haskell.org/cabal/_darcs/patches/20080729152624-adfee-82b21496ea160565e8dbb61f15c7fe50bdc7b656.gz