[Hackage] #206: cabal-install should be able to generate haddock docs

Hackage trac at galois.com
Wed Jul 2 19:56:15 EDT 2008

#206: cabal-install should be able to generate haddock docs
  Reporter:  guest               |        Owner:
      Type:  enhancement         |       Status:  new
Ghcversion:  6.8.2               |     Platform:
Comment (by bfr):

 Replying to [comment:1 duncan]:
 > I guess for a per-user install it could live in
 > but that's no good for a global install since we cannot steal that name.
 So where would such an index go?

 I think the question how (and where) to maintain a central documentation
 index should not be confused with the question of whether to build (and
 install) documentation at all. Installed API documentation is very useful
 even w/o a central index, if it can be found under a canonical path
 derived from the package name.

 The real advantage of a central index is accessability. My favourite
 solution would be a single command e.g. 'hsdoc', which, given a function,
 a module, type, whatever, finds the haddock docs and displays them in some
 (user configurable) way (e.g. by starting a web browser). A bit like
 'perldoc' but not restricted to plain console output. Much more useful
 than a central index html page, IMO, specially since you can leverage the
 shell's history feature, etc.

 The natural place of a central index for globally installed packages is
 wherever ghc-pkg (resp. analogue tools for other implementations) keeps
 its package database.

 Anyway, this should be another ticket. Installing the docs in the first
 place is useful in and of itself.

Ticket URL: <http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/206#comment:12>