GHC options in Cabal

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jan 18 05:17:18 EST 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 15:31 -0800, Adam Langley wrote:
> On Jan 17, 2008 2:35 PM, Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> > Did you? Oh, that'd be great. Where is the patch?
>
> I had an hour to kill. I think I remember being a little unsure about
> where the code for the 3rd one should hook in.

Yeah, that's not immediately obvious. It depends on when we want to give
those warnings. Eg it's ok to have some of those flags locally but we
want to warn if you're preparing a package to distribute. So I'm leaning
towards putting the check in sdist and perhaps also in it's own
qa/check/lint command. Oh and of course to export it and use it in
hackagedb's upload code too.

> Mon Dec 31 09:47:09 PST 2007  agl at imperialviolet.org
>  * Ticket 176: Fix verbosity error to include the valid -v values

We'd got a patch for this on in the mean time, though I prefer your
clearer error message so have applied it and resolved the conflict.

> Mon Dec 31 10:05:16 PST 2007  agl at imperialviolet.org
>  * Ticket 201: report IO errors during clean

Applied.

> Mon Dec 31 10:40:21 PST 2007  agl at imperialviolet.org
>  * Ticket 191: check for common, unwise GHC options

Sorry, duplication here. Lennart sent in a patch for this yesterday and
I think I prefer that approach. Though there's still work to do in
linking the checks into the right places as I describe above.

So thanks very much for the patches. Next time send them in as soon as
you write them :-) and we'll avoid duplicated work. (I might be going
mad, but I don't think I saw them sent to any list.)

Next time you have a spare hour for Cabal, I'd suggest looking at the
one on striping:

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/88

Several packages are now using ghc-options: -opl-Wl,-s which is not
great because I don't think that works on all platforms and it causes
problems for distros that prefer to handle striping themselves.