GHC's CPP and Cabal's unlit

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Fri Jan 4 12:08:26 EST 2008

On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 01:40:44AM +0000, Duncan Coutts wrote:

> One bit I'm less sure about is the handling of paragraphs in comments.
> Currently the code transforms:
>
> blah blah
>
> blah blah
>
> into
>
> -- blah blah
>
> -- blah blah
>
> but it transforms
>
> blah blah
>
> blah blah
>
> into
>
> -- blah blah
> --
> -- blah blah
>
> spot the difference? Yeah, just white space. The completely blank line
> separates the paragraphs into two comments which haddock will treat
> differently from a single comment.

I think both your examples should be treated the same, although I don't
know whether they should be treated as one or two comments.

Invisible whitespace is generally ignored elsewhere in Haskell, e.g.
when determining if a literate comment is next to a bird track, or after
a \ starting a string gap, the rationale being that if you can't see a
difference then there shouldn't be one.

Thanks
Ian