Hackage complains about data-dir

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Wed Aug 27 05:57:59 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 10:02 +0100, Neil Mitchell wrote:
> Hi
>
> >> 400 Error in upload
> >> hoogle-4.0.0.5/hoogle.cabal: Unknown fields: data-dir (line 19)
> >> Fields allowed in this section:
> >>     name, version, cabal-version, build-type, license, license-file,
> >>     copyright, maintainer, build-depends, stability, homepage,
> >>     package-url, synopsis, description, category, author, tested-with,
> >>     data-files, extra-source-files, extra-tmp-files
> >>
> > I think Cabal is right. Both 1.4 and HEAD parse hoogle.cabal without
> > complaint. I suspect that the fix is to recompile the hackage scripts
> > against a more recent Cabal version (ideally the latest stable 1.4.x
> > release).
>
> With the current situation I have just uploaded Hoogle, which worked,
> even thought I couldn't check the package.
>
> The Hoogle package displays fine:
> http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/hoogle-4.0.0.5
>
> But now the main page seems to be down:
> http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/pkg-list.html - is that my
> fault?

No and yes. :-) No of course it's not your fault. The scripts are
suppose to validate everything and not fall over. So it'd never be your
fault. That said, it's actually a syntax error in catch-0.1.1.cabal
which for some reason slipped through the upload checks but with the
scripts re-compiled against a newer Cabal now fails with a parse error.
That did not get triggered until the following upload when the package
index page got re-generated (which involves reading every .cabal file in
the archive).