Where should cabal install to by default?

Isaac Dupree isaacdupree at charter.net
Wed Aug 6 11:24:58 EDT 2008

Jeffrey Yasskin wrote:
> FWIW, Python recently went through this exercise and produced
> http://python.org/dev/peps/pep-0370/, which does use the $HOME/.local
> directory. I don't know how much that should affect Cabal's choice,
> but it's a bit of prior art if you're interested.

It seems $HOME/.local/bin is shared between all programs,
unlike e.g. $HOME/.local/lib/python2.6/ ? Of course this is
how /usr/local works already.  But I wonder if we should put
the actual binaries somewhere else, and just put symlinks in
that "bin" directory.  What if the pythoners accidentally
call some program "happy" and it conflicts with the binary
derived from haskell's Hackage?  (Of course that would be a
problem for other reasons, but it's worse if it requires
overwriting unknown binaries with binaries rather than
symlinks vs. symlinks.)

-Isaac