[Hackage] #289: symlink binaries into ~/bin

Hackage trac at galois.com
Sun Aug 3 07:54:04 EDT 2008

#289: symlink binaries into ~/bin
  Reporter:  duncan              |        Owner:
      Type:  enhancement         |       Status:  new
Ghcversion:  6.8.2               |     Platform:
Comment (by duncan):

 Replying to [comment:3 Isaac Dupree]:

 Most distros set things up so that `~/bin` is in the `$PATH` by default
 (if it exists).

 Why would you want unversioned names under `~/.cabal/bin` if that is not
 on your `$PATH` ?

 I don't think we should ignore a `~/bin` just because it is a symlink.
 Users who don't want the feature can easily turn it off in the

 I'm not sure what you mean about trampling, we're being pretty careful not
 to trample anything. By default we only touch `~/.cabal` and are careful
 with setting symlinks in `~/bin` so that we do not overwrite anything
 created by the user or any other program.

Ticket URL: <http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/289#comment:4>