hasLibs and hasExes honest reporting?

Thomas Schilling nominolo at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 30 19:24:24 EDT 2008

On 1 maj 2008, at 00.30, Duncan Coutts wrote:

> If we look in xmonad.cabal we see:
>
> library
>     exposed-modules:    XMonad
>                         XMonad.Main
> [...snip...]
>     if flag(testing)
>         buildable: False
>
> So when the testing flag is True, the library will not be
> buildable. The
> hasLibs function actually only tells you about buildable libraries
> (the
> same goes for hasExes).
>
> If you use flattenPackageDescription on this description you will
> get a
> PackageDescription whith buildable: False because flattening
> ignores all
> conditions and includes *both* sides of conditionals.

The key part here is that 'flattenPackageDescription' (more precisely
'unionBuildInfo' uses '&&' to join multiple occurences of buildable.
If at any time a branch claims the package is not buildable, we, of
course, want this property to be propagated.  Using a '||' only for
within flattenPackageDescription doesn't seem like a good idea to me.