[Hackage] #258: case confusion - cabal vs Cabal

Hackage trac at galois.com
Sat Apr 12 17:31:17 EDT 2008

#258: case confusion - cabal vs Cabal
  Reporter:  guest          |        Owner:
      Type:  defect         |       Status:  closed
Ghcversion:  6.8.2          |     Platform:
Changes (by kolmodin):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => wontfix

 The name of the package is indeed Cabal, with a capital C.

 Renaming either the name of the .cabal file or the repo dir is not trivial

  * Changing the name of the .cabal file would also require to rename the
 package, since hackage requires the file name to be consistent with the
 package name. This would effectively break all packages depending on
 Cabal, and of course make much hassle with forward and backwards

  * Renaming the repo name would break the darcs installations of all our
 developers, something we are really not keen to do. We could set up a
 symlink to use the {{{Cabal}}} name, but I'd find that even more confusing
 than just having a single repository.

Ticket URL: <http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/258#comment:1>