proptotype of make style dep stuff

Isaac Potoczny-Jones ijones at syntaxpolice.org
Fri Oct 26 13:20:49 EDT 2007

Duncan and others,

I have some high-level thoughts:

= Standalone Tool =

Something I've talked about for a long time (and a few times tried to
get someone to implement) is a kind of EDSL for Setup files so that
people can replace Make more easily by using the Setup files, and this
seems like it could be a good start.  You could use Parsec as a model
for building a little language for dependencies and actions for those
dependencies.  Make is a mess because it's really hard to build any kind
of abstractions using it; the main thing it does for you is the Make
algorithm you've shown here, and everything else is really hard.
Haskell would be much better at this :)

Cabal is getting more and more complex, and I think it would be good to
consider how you might separate this from Cabal.  Perhaps you could
implement a make-a-like library that's pretty standalone, but would be
designed for use by Cabal, and indeed, Cabal would probably use it
internally, but it could also be used outside of the context of Cabal.

= Pros & Cons of Cabal Complexity =

I've tended to resist adding complexity like RPMs to Cabal because I
tend to think that smaller, standalone tools that can be elegantly
composed is better.  The good part of composable standalone tools is
that you can spread out the development effort among folks who are
experts in their smaller tool.  You also can keep Cabal from being so
complicated that it's hard to bootstrap packages, and so that the
changes between versions aren't as painful.

The downside of keeping Cabal simple is that you'd sorta like it to be
the case that Cabal is all you need to build any package.  As packages
and dependencies among packages get more complex (in part, because Cabal
facilitates that, which is good) it's natural to make Cabal more complex
as well to accommodate more and more needs of package authors.

My only point, really, is that you think about these trade-offs whenever
adding new capabilities to Cabal.  Would it be better to have a
standalone tool that Cabal depends on?

= Goals of Dependency Chasing =

I've been a bit out of the loop on this, so I apologize if I'm
re-covering old ground.

A simpler goal of a module-chasing system is just to replace the need
for other-modules.  Other-modules is used in compilation (although ghc
--make doesn't really need it) and for haddock and for making source
tarballs, and probably for other things.

Ideally, the user should be able to specify only "Exposed modules" for
libraries and "main modules" for executables, and Cabal should derive
the other-modules itself.  That's less pain for the user, and you can
get around using ghc --make.  Well, using ghc --make isn't much of a
problem, but other compilers without a --make flag could then be made to
work.  Maybe this is implemented already?

At first this sounds really easy, but then I wonder, how can Cabal know
whether a particular module in an import list is a part of a dependency,
or actually a part of the package?  Can Cabal query ghc-pkg for that
kind of information?  Can Cabal assume that if it can find the module in
the local directory tree that it is a part of the current package?  Can
you think of another way to make this work?

= Overall =

Overall, this sounds really cool, and I encourage you all to keep at it!
 I trust you to decide if adding this kind of complexity to Cabal is
worthwhile, and to build a really nice system.  I really do think that
Haskell should be able to do better than Make here, and it would be a
pleasure to feel like we can replace bits of that toolchain :)

I'll try to read in more detail and give more feedback.

peace,

  isaac