[Haskell] Re: Trying to install binary-0.4

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Tue Oct 16 19:35:43 EDT 2007

[would it be possible to pick a single list to discuss this on please,
so there is no danger of some people missing some subthreads if they
aren't on all the lists, or getting messages 3 times if they are?]

On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 01:08:49PM +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:

> 2. Precise dependencies.

While not directly related to this, I have the impression some people
want precise dependencies so that things work properly when multiple
versions of a library are installed.

Personally I'm not a fan of that, as if I have

    package foo:
        module Foo where
            data T

    package bar:
        module Bar where
            bar :: T

    package baz:
        module Baz where
            baz :: T -> ()

then
    baz bar
might be a type error if I have multiple versions of foo installed and
bar and baz have been compiled against different versions.

Thanks
Ian