[Haskell-cafe] Adding GLUT package to WinHugs

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Mon Oct 15 21:03:23 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 00:31 +0100, Ross Paterson wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 10:10:40PM +0100, Duncan Coutts wrote:
> > What do you reckon we should do? We could change:
> >
> > #if __GLASGOW_HASKELL__ >= 603 || __HUGS__
> >
> > import Text.ParserCombinators.ReadP hiding (ReadP)
> > import qualified Text.ParserCombinators.ReadP as ReadP
> >
> > to drop the || __HUGS__ and have hugs always use the bundled H98 ReadP,
> > or we can continue to use the non-H98 one that comes with hugs. This has
> > the obvious downside that users need to know to run:
> >
> > runhugs -98 Setup.hs
> >
> > which is a bit unfortunate.
>
> On the other hand, changing the ReadP in Cabal would leave the parsers
> in Cabal incompatible with other ReadP parsers.

We already have this problem. If people import the 'standard' ReadP and
use it with Cabal then we get type errors on systems where we use the
bundled one. We've already had to change a few imports of
Text.ParserCombinators.ReadP to Distribution.Compat.ReadP, eg in
cabal-install.

The same applies to any Setup script that uses Cabal's parser functions.