[Fwd: [Haskell-cafe] Fun with Cabal on Windows! [Stream fusion for Hackage]]

Thomas Schilling nominolo at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 20 04:52:33 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 23:35 +0000, Neil Mitchell wrote:
> Hi
>
> > So we could do with seeing the output of configure -v3 which shows the
> > location that Cabal looks for and finds all the programs it needs.
> >
> > If anyone else can reproduce this on windows that'd be helpful too.
>
> Reproduced on mine too, I think I always have added that to the PATH as well.
>
> Thanks
>
> Neil
>
> --------- MINOR RANT -----------
>
> > Well, no, this is Windoze, we don't have ld here...
>
> Calling Microsoft Windows (TM) "Windoze" is a bad idea. Microsoft pay
> for a good proportion of Haskell development, and hence showing them
> at least basic politness seems only fair. It may seem cool to people
> who dislike Windows, but in most cases, you are specifically asking
> for the help of a Windows user, who kind of gets instantly disinclined
> to help as soon as you suggest they (or their operating system of
> choice) is "dozy". It's the same number of keys, and abbreviating it
> to Win would be perfectly acceptable too!

Minor Clarification:  This original remark came from Andrew - a Windows
user.  (It might have looked different, depending on how your mail
reader displayed the attached, forwarded message.)  But I agree that
remarks like this could be considered rude and decrease the readiness to
help, so I will try to avoid this for my own posts.