cabal install

Bjorn Bringert bringert at cs.chalmers.se
Mon Nov 5 03:46:19 EST 2007

On Nov 5, 2007, at 0:27 , Duncan Coutts wrote:

> On Sun, 2007-11-04 at 20:22 +0100, Bjorn Bringert wrote:
>> On Nov 4, 2007, at 17:10 , Jean-Philippe Bernardy wrote:
>
>> it works fine for me, but I only have GHC 6.6.1 at the moment. What
>> platform are you on?
>
> It'll be using Cabal-1.2.2.0
>
>> I'm not sure what the dist/Conftest.c error is about. I'm CC:ing
>> cabal-devel, perhaps some other Cabal hacker can help.
>
> Yes, so what changed is that configuring ghc now tests ld to see if it
> supports the -x flag. This involves creating some temp files. At the
> moment it assumes that the dist dir exists since this is the case when
> we're doing configure. Unfortunately of course this is not the case
> when
> cabal-install configures the compiler.
>
> I suppose the right thing is for the ghc ld -x test to use the temp
> dir
> rather than assuming the existence of the dist dir. I'm not sure
> how we
> should work around that in cabal-install to make it work with the
> released Cabal.

Crap, so cabal-install is totally broken with 6.8.1. cabal-install is
trying to find ld even before it has started to install a package. We
could cd to $tmpdir/something, and run findCompiler there. Nasty hack
workaround though. I guess we need to start testing cabal-install
with Cabal releases before they are released...

/Björn