cabal-install build-dep error

Adrian Burciu adrian at highcreativity.com
Sat May 12 22:00:38 EDT 2007

Hello,

I am a beginner in Haskell, and I am having a problem using
cabal-install when I try to install the dependencies for a .cabal
file.

If I use <sudo cabal-install install package_name> I am able to
install every package, one by one. When I installed cabal-install I
had no problems and everything went on smoothly.  These are the last
lines when I installed it:

[16 of 16] Compiling Main             ( src/CabalInstall.hs,
dist/build/cabal-install/cabal-install-tmp/Main.o )
Linking dist/build/cabal-install/cabal-install ...
optimus:/usr/local/cabal-install_0 turingson$ sudo runghc Setup.lhs install
Installing: /usr/local/lib/cabal-install-0.3.0/ghc-6.6 &
/usr/local/bin cabal-install-0.3.0...
optimus:/usr/local/cabal-install_0 turingson$

Here is the error I am getting when I try to use build-dep:

optimus:/usr/local/hope turingson$ sudo cabal-install build-dep hope.cabal
cabal-install: hope.cabal:9: Parse of field 'build-depends' failed:
optimus:/usr/local/hope turingson$

That is the only error I am getting. Here is part of the content of
the hope.cabal file:
License-file: LICENSE
Build-depends:
  base,
  network,
  mtl,
  parsec

Do you know what I may be doing wrong or what can I do to work this around?

Thanks,
Adrian