patch applied (cabal-install): Use user installs by default

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Fri May 11 12:48:14 EDT 2007

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 09:25:41AM +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:

>   $ cabal-install foo
>   You don't have permission to install packages globally (for all users).
>   Either: run cabal-install as root, or add the --user flag to install
>   packages for the current user only.
>
> cabal-install could drop its permissions for the non-install steps,
> perhaps. Replace "as root" with "as administrator" for Windows.

Alternatively,

    cabal-install -rsudo foo
    or
    cabal-install -rootcmd=sudo foo

(as a user) could call "sudo whatever" when it needs to do something as
root. This would probably mean re-executing itself (or a separate
binary) with an

    --I've-built-it-just-install-it-from=/tmp/...

flag. This is what various Debian tools do, although it's slightly nicer
in those cases as they are just calling a couple of shell commands.

Thanks
Ian