Test Cases for Configurations

Ross Paterson ross at soi.city.ac.uk
Thu Jun 14 19:26:36 EDT 2007

On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 12:48:17AM +0200, Thomas Schilling wrote:
> it's still a little work to do, but I think I'll be able to try and
> use Cabal configurations some time next week.  Do you guys have any
> ideas what we could use as a good test case?
>
> The goal is to find out how well the current scheme applies to actual
> use cases (and if there are serious performance problems to await).

As Simon mentioned, there's HGL depending on either unix or Win32.

The fps package was incorporated into base-2.0, so packages like binary,
bzlib, zlib, darcs-graph or hmp3 could depend on base >= 2.0 or (base <
2.0 and fps).

The html package was split off from base-2.0.  For this reason HAppS
has two variants of its Cabal file, which could be combined under
configurations.  Similarly lambdaFeed could depend on base < 2.0 or
(base >= 2.0 and html).

The above are all in HackageDB.  The HEAD has a few more examples:

Several packages are split off from base (but its version number hasn't
been incremented yet, so you can't use that).

The process package has a Setup.hs that exists only to drop the
System.Process module for implementations other than GHC.

The time package has a Setup.hs that adds a dependency on Win32 if the
platform is Windows.