Hackage rocks

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Mon Jul 30 11:00:06 EDT 2007

On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 03:43:33PM +0100, Duncan Coutts wrote:

>       * haddock docs not building. This is very common. The most common
>         parse problem is un-escaped / chars. This seems to trip people
>         up a lot. I wonder if we could make haddock's parser grok this
>         better? For example most uses of ' don't cause problems, eg
>         "don't". I wonder if we could have a similar rule for / so that
>         things like "I/O" didn't get recognised as beginning an
>         emphasised section. Perhaps the rule should be that / but be at
>         the beginning or end of a token, so a " / " or a "X/Y" would not
>         count, only "/beginning" or "ends/" of words?

I think it would be better to encourage people to test haddocking more
frequently, rather than to make its syntax more magical.

Unfortunately I'm not sure how best to do that without it slowing down
builds while developing.

I've thought for a while that we should have a cabal-lint, that runs the
sanity checks that hackage does before accepting an upload. Perhaps
cabal-lint could also check that building and haddocking works, and run
the packages testsuite too? People would then be encouraged to run that
before uploading to hackage, and to the extent permitted by security
concerns, hackage could run cabal-lint itself.

Thanks
Ian