[Haskell] Cabal, Haddock, and the location of documentation

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jul 8 13:22:43 EDT 2007

Moving discussion to the cabal-devel at haskell.org list...

On Sun, 2007-07-08 at 19:08 +0200, Matthias Kilian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> probably a PEBCAK, but working on updating all our Haskell-related
> OpenBSD ports, I've currently the problem, that, e.g. for Crypto
> the Haddock-generated documentation doesn't gets installed where I
> want it installed ;-)

[...]

> Is this configurable at Cabal/Haddock runtime? I'd try to play
> with --datadir, but this appears a little bit dangerous as a general
> approach, since some packages my actually come with real data, which
> should *not* go into $prefix/share/doc, of course.

Currently the docs do just use --datadir= and --datasubdir= .

> Or do I have to patch Cabal? If so, what about adding just another
> FilePath like docdir to Distribution.SimpleLocalBuildInfo and use
> it for the documentation?

I think it'd be perfectly reasonable to follow the lead of autoconf here
and have slightly finer grained control with respect to the kinds of
files we're installing. Autoconf distinguishes docs (and various kinds
of docs, html, ps, pdf, man etc) from the generic datadir.

So yes, if you want to extend cabal in this direction I'm happy to
review patches.