Cabal bug, times two and a half

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Thu Jan 25 11:55:57 EST 2007

Simon Marlow wrote:
> Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
>> I tried reporting a Cabal bug via Trac, but I can't log in as
>> guest/haskell.  Alas.
>
> The password is "haskell'" (note the final apostrophe).

D'oh!  Alas, the tick is practically invisible to me on the web page,
and I had my prescription for glasses checked recently :-)  I'll
remember it's there, though.

> Not adding -auto-all is the right default; the intended usage is for
> building a profiled version of the library so that a user can profile
> their own application against it, not to profile the library itself.

Fair enough.  Do library maintainers normally use Cabal to do routine
builds and rebuilds of their own libraries?  If so, do people simply
keep locally modified .cabal files around for this kind of thing?

By the way, when I spent a bit more time poking around at this, I found
that even adding -auto-all left me with empty cost centres in profile
output for libraries (but not the main app) on x86_64, but everything
was fine on i386.  I'm unfamiliar enough with the territory that I don't
know quite what to do with this piece of information.  What would be
useful for you to know if I were to file a bug?

> If you use the Emacs darcsum mode, it's scarily easy to avoid committing
> things that you don't want to.

I'll be sure to check it out.  Thank you.

	<b