new Darcs-Repository field?

Bjorn Bringert bringert at cs.chalmers.se
Mon Jan 15 17:55:49 EST 2007

On Jan 15, 2007, at 16:54 , Simon Marlow wrote:

> Ross Paterson wrote:
>> Björn Bringert suggested that the Hackage page for a package should
>> include a link to the Darcs repo (if any, but who uses anything
>> else?)
>> and maybe some darcs integration such as changelogs and the like.
>> To make this work, we'd need a URL-valued Darcs-Repository field
>> in the
>> package description.
>
> Trac uses a syntax like 'VC:FILE' for the repo, eg. 'darcs:/home/
> darcs/ghc'. Perhaps we could do the same, something like
>
> source-repository: darcs:http://darcs.haskell.org/happy
>
> or is that too many colons? :)  The syntax of the thing after the
> 'darcs:' is entirely VC-dependent, of course.

I think that we may also need to be able to specify a directory
inside a darcs repo, since many darcs repos contain multiple Cabal
packages. For example, the Cabal repo contains Cabal, cabal-setup and
cabal-install. I guess programs could just search in the repo for
a .cabal file for the right package, but that means having to do a
darcs get.  Whether that's ok or not depends on what the field is
used for I suppose.

/Björn