Why is there a cabal file at all?

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 20:39:08 EST 2007

Hi Marc,

[Snip]

> Any ideas, comments?
>
> Anyone out there who wants to join and help implementing this idea?

I'd ask why there is a Setup.hs file at all, a nice textual
declarative form seems much more sensible. You can encode everything
in Haskell, but you probably shouldn't...

First off, its harder to read, harder to parse (unless you happen to
be a Haskell compiler) and just not as straight forward. Should you be
able to pick which library version you want based on the day of the
week? Should your package name be allowed to be a random string which
changes each time?

It is a cute idea (less different forms), but I don't think it fits
the problem in this case.

Thanks

Neil