new Darcs-Repository field?

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jan 7 16:30:49 EST 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 15:15 +0000, Ross Paterson wrote:
> Björn Bringert suggested that the Hackage page for a package should
> include a link to the Darcs repo (if any, but who uses anything else?)
> and maybe some darcs integration such as changelogs and the like.
> To make this work, we'd need a URL-valued Darcs-Repository field in the
> package description.

I think this is a good idea.

Can we get away with only allowing darcs? :-)

Here's what gentoo has for its global overlay configuration file (a
gentoo overlay is a tree of ebuild files usually managed in a version
control system):

  <overlay
      type = "svn"
      src  = "https://gentooscience.org/svn/overlay"
      contact = "sci at gentoo.org"
      status  = "official"
      name = "science">

  <overlay
      type = "rsync"
      src  = "rsync://rsync.breakmygentoo.net/bmg-main/bmg-main"
      contact = "bugs.breakmygentoo.net"
      name = "break-my-gentoo-main">

  <overlay
      type = "darcs"
      src  = "http://www.haskell.org/~gentoo/gentoo-haskell/"
      contact = "haskell at gentoo.org"
      status = "official"
      name = "haskell">

  <overlay
      type = "tar"
      src  = "http://geki.ath.cx/OOo/openoffice.tar.bz2"
      contact = "h.mth at web.de"
      name = "openoffice-geki">

etc, you get the idea. So they have a 'type' field as well as a url for
it. We could do the same and for the moment only implement stuff for
darcs.

How about:

rcs-type:
rcs-url:

Hmm ok, not so good. Someone come up with something less cryptic :-)