patch applied (cabal): add --enable-optimization/--disable-optimization config options (on by default)

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at
Mon Feb 19 07:34:16 EST 2007

Ian Lynagh wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 10:51:38AM +1100, Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:
>> I think developers can be expected to read the docs and turn off
>> optimisations if they like. Everyone else should get -O by default, to
>> avoid bad press ;-)
> Since Duncan asked for opinions, I agree with Don.

Me too, and this corresponds with what GHC does: by default you get a fully
optimised build, ready for installation.  I think this is more or less standard
practice, isn't it?