Dependencies/backwards compatibility in Hackage

Fawzi Mohamed fawzi at gmx.ch
Thu Feb 1 10:29:31 EST 2007

Ross Paterson wrote:
> We could decide on a standard interpretation of version numbers, e.g.
> major.minor.patch.  To support this, we'd want wildcards like 1.13.*
> in version ranges. [...]

Yes, I think a solution like this (major: distruptive change, minor:
backward compatible change, patch: no api change) would be very nice.
Then one would be able to have many different incompatible versions
encoding the major version name into the path of the library (or library
name).
OSX Frameworks for example use this solution (with a symlink to the
latest version that is used for normal builds, and last used major
version for build objects).

Fawzi